SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
post #497 of Old 06-03-2013
bobperry
grumpy old man

Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

I'm sure a solid stick is far easier and quicker to make than a lam box section. That's fine if quick and cheap are what you are after. But weight aloft is not good.

I'll tell you a little story:
We were designing a nice 65' cruising yacht and I was working on the weigh study. It was looking good and going along just fine. I came in one Monday morning and pulled up the weight file on the computer and noticed that my VCG had jumped up dramatically. I did not like it in the new, higher locaction. What the hell had happened? I began to go over some of the numbers and then noticed that I had entered the weight of the mast twice (me and my fat fingers). Considering that this was not a light boat at all, probably D/L around 240 as I recall, I was surprised that just doubleing the mast weight would have such a large effect on the overall VCG. But that's weight up high with a bigger moment distance than any other weight on the boat.

I do everything I can now to try and convince custom design clients to go with a carbon mast. In Kim's case with the SLIVER project we were able to get a used Farr 40 mast, quite inexpensively that fit our needs almost perfectly. In fact there were two used Farr 40 rigs on the market at that time. I gave up a few feet of "P" but the cost savings made it palatable. Carbon masts are well beyond the "exerimental" stage now and pretty much standard on all new custom boats. I even had one owner of one of my 43' Cheoy Lee motor sailer ketches switch to a new carbon rig. That was a bit unusual. His previous spars had been spruce.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome