SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

I'm sure a solid stick is far easier and quicker to make than a lam box section. That's fine if quick and cheap are what you are after. But weight aloft is not good.

I'll tell you a little story:
We were designing a nice 65' cruising yacht and I was working on the weigh study. It was looking good and going along just fine. I came in one Monday morning and pulled up the weight file on the computer and noticed that my VCG had jumped up dramatically. I did not like it in the new, higher locaction. What the hell had happened? I began to go over some of the numbers and then noticed that I had entered the weight of the mast twice (me and my fat fingers). Considering that this was not a light boat at all, probably D/L around 240 as I recall, I was surprised that just doubleing the mast weight would have such a large effect on the overall VCG. But that's weight up high with a bigger moment distance than any other weight on the boat.

I do everything I can now to try and convince custom design clients to go with a carbon mast. In Kim's case with the SLIVER project we were able to get a used Farr 40 mast, quite inexpensively that fit our needs almost perfectly. In fact there were two used Farr 40 rigs on the market at that time. I gave up a few feet of "P" but the cost savings made it palatable. Carbon masts are well beyond the "exerimental" stage now and pretty much standard on all new custom boats. I even had one owner of one of my 43' Cheoy Lee motor sailer ketches switch to a new carbon rig. That was a bit unusual. His previous spars had been spruce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook