SailNet Community - View Single Post - AutoPilots
Thread: AutoPilots
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013

The Admirable Cretin is on a distinguished road
AutoPilots

I'm hoping for some advice on this.. I'm in the process of buying a boat that's 40+ ft ... medium displacement (around 23000 lbs)... I'll be taking it to Europe from the east coast and intend to remain there for at least a couple of years..
I need to fit a new autopilot as I'll be single-handed on the way over and looking at all the options I find myself getting more and more out of my depth...
I'm going for an autopilot as opposed to a wind vane as I'm familiar enough with the Med to know that a wind-vane would be more of a liability than anything else... if I was fortunate enough to spend my life cruising a wind-vane would be my first option.
There's nothing like first hand experience so I'd like to hear from anyone out there that has some well grounded opinions.. in particular.. can a boat this size and weight comfortably get by with a cockpit wheel drive system or realistically do I have to look at a below decks installation (very expensive) and if so, how hard are these on the power supply... I don't fancy running the motor for 4 weeks just to charge the batteries.
I have tried the 'search' option but there's nothing there that covers the subject sufficiently and as this represents a fairly major outlay I'd like to get it right..
Tales of lousy service from any manufacturers are also welcome... let them suffer for their arrogance. :>) Many thanks T A C
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook