SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap Classic Plastic smokes the fleet in 2013 Down the Bay Race

I would have to say that I agree with JamesWilson point. I do agree that boats like the Olson 30 has the best $$/Fun,speed ratio, that's almost irrefutable. We have one for sale here in Lake Ontario for $25k. The fact that it can sometimes win in real time against boats 200k more makes it very attractive.

I also I agree with his point on technology. Its real simple. They are making sport boats now that are only a couple of knots faster than some of these 30 year olds ULDBs. It takes no genius to know that compared to cars, planes, that sailboats are not advancing technologically exponentially to $$.

I do agree with Paulos points that you cannot compare the prices since a new Olson would probably cost $150k now.

I'm 29 and there is now way I can just drop 300k on a J111. And we can all agree that its a bit out of reach for many middle/upper middle class people and now think that you're only going 2+ knots more than a 30 year old boat.

At the same time if I can afford it Id get a wally and have a Pogo 30 as my liferaft.