SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hell Gate Transit - Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Hell Gate Transit - Advice Needed

I made the exact same trip about the same time last year. Eldridges is your go to source for info. Don't try to time getting through at slack, go with the flow this way if you are early or late you won't have an issue.

We anchored around Sandy Hook in Horseshoe Cove and timed it from there. Give yourself some time to do a drive by at the Statue of Liberty.

Keep your radio handy and keep a sharp lookout for commercial traffic. Once you into the East River the confusion of tons commercial traffic, choppers, etc starts to ease off and you can enjoy the ride. You might have a tug or something running the current with you but we didn't see much other than that.

The only other issue we had was not noticing any place for fuel. We motored most of the way from Atlantic City and motored all the way through to LIS. We had just enough diesel to get to City Island so it was not an issue. However, if I had noticed a place we would have stopped just to be on the safe side. I'm sure there are places but finding one and pulling in will probably affect your timing.

Have a fun, safe trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook