SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

If you are using the deep cycle batteries for house power only, the suggestion of deep cycle/starting batteries is just wrong. House power wants deep cycle only. Starting batteries cannot store the same power for the same money, and will be killed much sooner than true deep cycle batteries. They are just built for different kinds of use. Better to have one starting battery and one house battery if you only have two. If you have three, it's starting/house/house. I have had some luck buying batteries at my local battery supplier. Good guys, will give you a deal, etc. That doesn't help you much in Vancouver, but there will be a similar place there. My local place has batteries meant for trolling motors at 140Ah for $140 bux. Can't beat that. People seem to like putting in Trojan 6V golf cart batteries in series, or maybe 4 in series/parallel. They have a reputation for being reliable, but that's some expensive power.

As for charger, just go for a name brand SMART charger in the largest size you can manage. If it doesn't have to work too hard to recharge your batteries at the dock, it will not heat up and will last longer.

There is an enormous amount of information on this stuff in the electrical sub-forum. Have a look.