SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Long time ago... I was sailing on Pamlico Sound in the summer, coming back from Jones Bay to Oriental. Listened to the weather radio in the morning - nothing major was going down. Got a late start that day, the wind was light, I was not moving a whole lot. In the late afternoon I realized I'm not going to make it to my marina before the nightfall as the wind just died completely. Picked what I thought was a decent enough anchorage with just a few mosquitoes, dropped the hook and settled in for the night. Around 1 am I woke up to the wind piping up. Turned the radio on and got a small craft advisory for wind and waves. In about half hour it was blowing about 30 mph sustained and the waves started to get large and ugly. My anchorage was apparently very exposed. The anchor was holding fine but the boat movement was so violent I was afraid the line will snap. I dropped a second, smaller anchor just in case. I started getting sea sick. Soon I was puking my guts out. I was in the cockpit, feeding the fish like a champ. I was drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated. I was praying for the dawn to come so I could move to a more protected spot. When dawn came I raised a reefed main and skedaddled out of there. In no time at all I got back to my marina in Whortonsville. What a relief that was. Fortunately, I only lost my shoes that night, and whatever food was there in my stomach. I must have left the shoes on the deck and they were thrown overboard by the violent movement of the boat.
From that day on I listened to weather radio several times a day, and always picked a sheltered anchorage, regardless of how thick the local mosquito population happened to be.