SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hell Gate Transit - Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Hell Gate Transit - Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
The danger of Hell Gate is so over rated. Since the OP is an experienced sailor, it would be easy for him with some common sense. I would advise the OP takes his camera and enjoy the sight of NYC skyline. Hell..... if the current is going to right direction, I would motor at night.

We lost our engine 1.5 nm from Hell Gate going south a few years ago. We raised our sails and steered over to the side and dropped the anchor, and called Towboat. We ended up at a Marina in City Island for 2 days. Well.... It is not like driving a 911 at 120 mph with only one or two microsecond to make your decision. No big deal.

East River is the only place I don't mind to motor. Enjoy the view. I know I will never get tired of seeing it over and over again.

Have a safe trip.
I agree with this comment for scenery and that the "Gate" is over rated considering what many of our brethren have to deal with in Seattle and Vancouver.

I have made the trip through here over 50 times and every time has a new photo moment I haven't seen before.

Try and find the spot where you get a picture of the Manhattan, Brooklyn Bridges and the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings all in the same frame.

I have to say as many times as I have traveled I would not go in the complete darkness. Last year we saw a picnic table submerged and a CNG container floating near Hell Gate by the trash transfer station. In the past we have seen many large objects in the water. There are seaplanes landing now after the Manhattan Bridge and the Williamsburg Bridge. Besides you'll miss the sights.

UN and Chrysler Buildings

Lady Liberty

At the confluence of the East and Harlem Rivers ( Hell Gate) looking south down the East River to the Battery

Chrysler Building

Empire State Building

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook