SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You have using wet and agm batteries which is not recommended to mix. Ho do you charge the AGM?
That's true if the wet cell and AGM batteries are hard wired together. However...

The only connection between the two banks (unless I select "BOTH" on the main switch, which I don't) is via the battery combiner. The combiner only connects the banks together when it senses a charging voltage ( >13.3V, I think), and the combiner limits the charging voltage to the AGM to about 14.2V (just below the recommended max charging voltage of 14.4V for a nominal 12V AGM).

The "acid test" (pun intended) is that everything seems OK with the AGM battery in this configuration for over three years now.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 06-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook