SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Boat And Why
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: What Boat And Why

Our current boat, a Caliber 40LRC.

Well constructed, fast(for a cruising boat), pretty, excellent layout for a couple and occasional guests. It has real steps leading down the companionway, a nice sized pullman berth. 2 sleeping cabins each with it's own private head. Huge tankage(fuel-210, water-175, holding-100) and a reputation for world cruising. Great value.

Sails very well in all conditions with slab reef main and cutter rig. Many sail options to choose from. Points very well(35° apparent) and will out-sail any IP of comparable size. Sails well in heavy air. She will generally reach hull speed pointing in 12-14 kts. Light air performance is pretty good too.

Displacement about 23,000. 5.5' draft with a cut-away keel and a skeg hung rudder.

Many off-shore safety features like a rudder stuffing box dam, reinforced impact zones forward and the holding tank under the anchor locker acts as a collision bulkhead that can be holed without allowing water into the boat. All fuel and water tankage is built into the hull in 4 separate tanks that also act as below WL collision bulkheads that can be holed.

Light and airy below with 7 opening hatches and 12 opening portlights. 6'5" headroom. Small cockpit and nice swim platform with pull down ladder.

Downsides: Small nav station, no bridgedeck(must use hatch-boards off-shore)

My wife and I have lived aboard in Maine with our dog for nearly 3 years now. We spend every weekend we can out sailing from May 1st to December 1st. We are both tall(me 6' and my wife 5'10") and out dog is medium sized(60lbs). Plenty of room for us to be very comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook