View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Shroud tension by feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I know this is a hard one to answer. I just think my shrouds are too loose. In planning to get a loos gauge in the near future but to get me by about how tight should they feel.

First off my mast is in column and all standing riggin is even. So uppers feel the same etc.

Fore and back stay are pretty tight, uppers are pretty loose and lowers are really loose. So loose I can flick they and they slop around a bit.
I just went through this. My rigging is more complicated, with forward AND after lowers.

Flopping around, at the dock with no load is definitely not correct. Snug up your lowers, then go sailing and observe their behavior on each tack. The leeward lowers should go soft, but not flop around.

Sight up the mast on each tack, and ensure that the mast remains in column. The upper half should not fall off to leeward (possible dismasting), and the center should be held in column by the lower shrouds. If the center bows out to leeward, snug them again.

I recommend small adjustments. Count your turns so that you can reset, if things don't look or feel right.

Like you, I'm in the market for a Loos gauge but money is tight.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook