SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Maintenance Learning Curve to Competence Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: The Maintenance Learning Curve to Competence Conundrum

Great topic, Jonesy!

I think the right mindset certainly helps. Often times, some folks are waaaaay too hesitant to actually make the leap from contemplation to execution since they probably are a little intimidated and lack enough confidence in their own skills and problem solving abilities.

In my view, that attitude is unfortunate and likely misplaced.

Here are a few tidbits I'd toss out:

1. It ain't brain surgery -- it's a boat. Your patient won't croak on the table if you do something a little wrong.

2. Manage your expectations -- Remember: The perfect is the enemy of the good enough. If you did it so badly the first time that it's really bugging you, you can do it again for likely a lot less than it would have cost to pay someone to do it for you once.

3. The confidence you build will serve you well in other aspects of your life in general.

4. You will likely make new friends in the process.

5. The internet is a great equalizer -- you can see how others have done similar projects, and add their examples to your toolbox. Just remember that there are also inadvertent examples of how NOT to do things, so don't rely on a single source.

6. Be cautious -- this can become more addictive than meth (and just as big a drain on your finances.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook