SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer extension or winch?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer extension or winch?

GFH, I guess your trailer and the boat lives at the ramp? Otherwise I think you skipped the steps about unhitching and chocking the wheels. So you are doing close to the same amount of futzing, just not at the ramp.

I actually agree that a trailer extension is the better way to go, just saying it is not the only way.

And KrissCross, really good point about the angle changing the weight balance. If it is properly balanced it *shouldn't* be a problem, but that could be a hairy situation if you unhook the coupler and the end pops up! Ask me how I know... where was that thread about boneheaded blunders again... My winch strap broke loading the new to me boat (knew I should have changed it) so I couldn't get the boat far enough forward, went to unhook the trailer because I couldn't drive it like that and I needed to get a new winch strap, really glad I didn't have my face in the way of the tongue and no one was underneath or behind when the rear of that trailer slammed down! I have since moved the axles and repositioned the winch post to balance things.

So after that story, for your own safety, please disregard any and all advice from me regarding trailering and/or launching your boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook