SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer extension or winch?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer extension or winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
GFH, I guess your trailer and the boat lives at the ramp? Otherwise I think you skipped the steps about unhitching and chocking the wheels. So you are doing close to the same amount of futzing, just not at the ramp.
Yes, I guess my trailer and boat do live at (or very near) the ramp, and no, I do far less futzing. The boat stays at a marina with the mast up on the trailer and I don't trailer on the road that much, so I guess my situation is different from most people's. But I (and everyone else waiting to launch behind me) would still rather not have to mess around on the ramp if I could avoid it.

Some people have no choice (like SCHNOOL with his keelboat trailer, which is a much different animal), and I get that there are lot of ways to do it. Watching the ramp is kind of a pastime of mine though, and most of the spectacularly bad launches that I've seen involve the most spectacularly complicated rigs. There's just so much more to go wrong.

Good luck with whatever you figure out.