SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Interested in liveaboard vessels. Advice?

I'm gonna toss my 2-cents into this, based upon my experiences during the past few years. First and foremost, get the biggest boat you can single-hand sail, which in my case was a 33 Morgan Out Island. This particular boat has been deemed by many live-aboards as first rate. Lots of beam, nearly 13 feet, lots of headroom, nearly 7 feet, relatively large galley, huge amount of storage space, built like a tank, but sails like a dream. It has a full keel, draws just under 4 feet, and contrary to popular belief, it's as fast as most boats in the same size and configuration category. I've had mine up to 10.1 MPH and was amazed how easily it handled in those conditions, winds of 30 MPH.

If you look around, particularly in your area and south, you'll find a few Morgan 33 O.I. sailboats for sale. Many are in great shape, some, however, are in horrible condition, so it pays to have them surveyed before purchasing. The boat is more than adequate for a couple to live aboard comfortably, and I know of at least two sailnet members that call them home. Mine is a 1973, powered with a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline engine, and I cannot say enough good things about the boat.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook