SailNet Community - View Single Post - Havre de Grace channel improperly marked...
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Havre de Grace channel improperly marked...

For those of you who venture up the Chesapeake to Havre de Grace, MD you'll find some significant changes. Fishing Battery Island has grown substantially from a small swamp to a massive island. The island was created this past winter when the old Havre de Grace Channel was dredged to a depth of 18-feet MLW. The dredge spoils were piled around the old lighthouse, thus expanding the island to nearly 50 acres. Of course, there are lots of signs saying "No Trespassing - Federal Wildlife Refuge. Hell, it's just a pile of sand that's 5 to 7 feet above the high tide line.

In their infinite wisdom, the folks responsible for putting the channel markers back in place failed to look at their depth finders, or use common sense. Some of the buoys are well outside the channel, and the red marker directly across from Battery Island is more than 100 yards off station. Fortunately, for those who have GPS/Plotters onboard and good mapping programs built in, it's just a matter of following the old channel lines to stay in deep water. If you hug the buoys, you'll be OK as long as the tide is relatively high and you don't draw more than 6 feet of water.

I called the Coast Guard and told them about the buoys and the person on the other end of the line said they would look into it. Yeah, right - I still believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook