SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Lookin' lovely..... but where's the cavernous aft cabin that's a "Must" these days??

Seriously, somebody needs to build this baby.. wish it were me. Curious as to how the keel support (when extended) will be engineered...

Ron,

I have never been a big fan of the whole cavernous aft cabin thing. In reality, I would expect to mostly cruise single-handed or with my wife, and perhaps occasionally have another couple along. On my version, the quarter berth would divide on the centerline and hinge up out of the way for storage bins and a work area.

If I wanted to cruise with another couple, I would probably include a louvered door that would provide some privacy for changing clothes. That door would occur at the bulkhead just aft of the stove, and that builkhead would need to move forward from where it is currently shown so there was some floor space with headroom. The small aftermost portlight would provide ventilation for that compartment, as could a portlight in the transom or footwell.

The keel support when lowered works this way. As I view the design, the keel itself would have three sections. The lowest section would be cast lead and would be the ballast. Its shown with the dark shading. Above that would be a stainless steel or monel weldment in the shape of the foil and it would be long enough that when the board is fully lowered it would extend approx. 9" into the bottom of the trunk. Within that weldment would be two large stainless steel tubes and these extend from the bottom of the weldment (from the top of the lead casting) to approximately 4 feet above the top of the foil shaped portion of the weldment. These tubes effectively extend a cantilever beyond the foil shaped portion of the keel. The tubes slide (telescope) inside a larger tube which extends from the top of the trunk (table top height) to the underside of the deck above. The table is shaped as it to allow the trunk to be buttressed with large knees on either side of the trunk, which will extend to the top of the trunk and stiffen the point at which the bottom of the outer tubes are bolted. If structural calcs showed it did not work to have glassed in knees (because they create a hinge point at the top of the trunk) then the vertical s.s. tubes would also be a weldment with the legs of that weldment on either side of the trunk extending to longitundinal and transverse frames within the bilge.That would make a continulous stiff structure from the bilge framing to the cabin top.

The aft lower corner and the forward upper corner of the trunk would be heavily reinforced to absorb an impact, and as I mentioned the other day, there would also be rollers mounted on impact absorbing blocks at the bottom of the trunk to allow the board to be raised under a little pressure.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-06-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: confusing syntax
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook