SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hart:
I make it my business to know that stuff. I have one client now for a new 60'er where we have looked at "synthetic" or Aramid, PBO rigging. No decision on it yet. PBO is kind of "old" now. There are newer fibers available. So little time. So much technology to digest.

My rule of thumb is that a carbon fiber mast will save you half the weight of the alu extrusion. Wire rigging weight is on top of that. Still with the Cheoy Lee, a heavy, big motor sailer, I was expecting some change I the feel of the motion at least if not a real change in feel of stability. But I was wrong. Mind you I'm only going by the owner's comments and I did not sail the boat before and after myself although I have sailed that model on a couple of occasions. I have a hard time believing there was not some noticable change. I don't mind being wrong. I do mind not knowing.
Friends a who have gone from a steel mast to an aluminium one have not seen a huge change . They have all said the change was barely noticeable
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook