SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hartley:
Many thanks for posting the spar drawing. Beautiful drafting. Lovely lettering. The designer was a very sklilled man. I can tell he loved his work by the way he drafted.
It was drawn the year I was born.

I did some wood sticks for some of my early designs. I have those drawings and I find them very beautiful. I'm a bear for good drafting and I have always held myself to a high standard in that area. I am lucky to have had some very good drafting mentors over the years. Maybe I'll get one of my spar drawings digitized and you can compare them.
On the subject of wood sticks, I have a question for the woodies. As spruce is more rot prone than fir,and the hollow wood spar invites rot to a high degree, perhaps we should consider how they prevented rot in old sailing ships, by putting in salt shelves between the frames and dumping salt in, to sit on the shelves and slowly pickle into the wood, Would it not be a good idea to glue three sides of a box section mast together, then dump a lot of salt in before gluing it up? Perhaps it is a good time to try an experiment, by soaking a couple of pieces of spruce in strong salt brine , drying it out, then gluing it, to see if the salt affects the strength of the glue line? Any thoughts from the wood experts?