SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very Large Hull Indentation
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Large Hull Indentation

Welcome aboard. Pictures are worth somewhere around a thousand words. It would be helpful if you would post some, maybe with a ruler or pencil in the shot to give perspective.

That said, if your all-fiberglass hull is soft then I don't see any other explanation than it has failed within the layers by delaminating. Doesn't sound like that is really the case though from your explanation. Sounds more like typical oil canning from prolonged sitting on the trailer with a large amount of weight in it from the water.

Is your trailer a factory one or after market and are you certain that the supports are in the correct position for your boat?

You probably shouldn't jack your boat up from the rudder as you are asking for a problem of a whole different kind, maybe lifting from the keel would work?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what you have described. If it appears intact and doesn't leak, go sailing and see how the hull shape responds to being in the water for a while. If it keeps you up at night worrying then cut out the bad areas, feather the edges out at 12:1 and patch in new fiberglass.

Get some photos up when you can, it will help considerably with the advice you get.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook