SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very Large Hull Indentation
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013

superhornet59 is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Large Hull Indentation

Hi all, I've uploaded some images of the indentations, and I believe they speak for themselves.

I didn't know non-cored fiberglass could become delaminated (I thought either the fibers or resin would snap/fracture first) but that wouldn't be so bad because then I could just perform a resin injection + vacuum repair, which I have the equipment for. I've also considered adding some reinforcing fiberglass (possibly with a core in between) to stiffen the area, but I worry about creating high stress areas around the perimeter.

In the interior you can see there is a fiberglass covered plywood sole, but there used to be another plywood 'floor' overtop of that which rotted. You can see the perimeter of it where I cut the tabbing flush with the hull. I don't believe it was structural, but a part of me is still not particularly comfortable with launching and sailing the boat without a new floor. I don't want to install a new floor, only to find that the hull deforms again after launch and messes everything up, or that I have to tear it off to perform a hull repair I could do now.

I've done some tapping with various objects to try and 'hear' delamination (would expect a dull, hollow sound) but I haven't noticed anything. Mind you this is while it is still sitting on the support, the rudder-lift was just a quick test to see if the glass would bounce back (it didn't). Maybe if pressure was taken off, the layers would indeed 'inflate'. In any case, I don't know what failed here. There is no core, therefore there is no rot. I'm essentially dismissing the possibility of water-related damage. There are no cracks, fractures, tears, etc... however it is soft. What on earth can create such symptoms (or lack thereof)...?

Edit: looking at those interior photos I really have to think to myself.. why in the world did they NOT tab that entire rear bulkhead to the hull, geeeez!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indentation - Exterior - Port 1.jpg (45.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Indentation - Exterior - Port 2.jpg (41.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Indentation - Exterior - Starboard.jpg (39.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Indentation - Interior - Port.jpg (72.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Indentation - Interior - Starboard.jpg (62.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by superhornet59; 06-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook