SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As I pointed out earlier my mast is laminated (glued with resourcenol)and solid, the sheaves are actually cheek blocks on the outside of the mast (the one lower down is a loose block attached to a pad eye. The mast step is a square hole cut in the cabin sole sitting on top of a floor (with an opening on the side so if any water gets into the mast step it will drain into the bilge. Most sites of mast rot have been avoided where possible, my 40 year old mast is quite sound.
Wolfie, I'd like to hope that, if you look closely, you'll find the mast step spanning a couple of floors at least. One floor can't possibly be expected to take the compression load of a stayed mast heading to windward in a blow..