SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
On the subject of wood sticks, I have a question for the woodies. As spruce is more rot prone than fir,and the hollow wood spar invites rot to a high degree, perhaps we should consider how they prevented rot in old sailing ships, by putting in salt shelves between the frames and dumping salt in, to sit on the shelves and slowly pickle into the wood, Would it not be a good idea to glue three sides of a box section mast together, then dump a lot of salt in before gluing it up? Perhaps it is a good time to try an experiment, by soaking a couple of pieces of spruce in strong salt brine , drying it out, then gluing it, to see if the salt affects the strength of the glue line? Any thoughts from the wood experts?
Brent, as you'd know, as well as being a bit alkaline, salt attracts moisture and essentially stays permanently damp - not a problem in a wet bilge, but a big problem in the base of a vertical structure constantly exposed to the heat of the sun.

FWIW, I'm fairly sure salt would affect the adhesion of whatever glue you chose to use (chemically) a lot more than simply soaking the timber in a patent rot preventative and gluing up as normal.