SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best per $ solar panel suppliers?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Best per $ solar panel suppliers?

i picked up a marine grade solar panel in mazatlan from a cruiser at a swap meet--this panel had much problem with electrical connections. i could not make it work at all, and had to rewire entirely to learn that.
i bought 3 solar panels bp brand-at the same marine swap meet for a total of 50 usd complete with mppt controller. they rock. btw--not "marine grade"...
i have one kyocera--is a replacement from a city that changes them out yearly due to hail--was free tome...lol..is resting--huge 130 wtt panel--i have plenty of incoming electricity from the 3 bp plus one kyocera i am using.....i also have a unisolar semi rigid panel rate d 3.8 amps i would love to test here in tropics--gave me 2 amps in sd.....these are not marine grade, have been around longer than the one i bought that was spozedly marine grade--and my connections are not rotten as were the marine grade connexions..lol..
i see no reason for marine grade in something that lives outside normally. check connections regularly--is part of my semi annual checks when i anchor after a passage.
btw--i have been using uni solar flexible housing panels on my ericson for 9 years without problem, and no deterioration....i love that word in conjunction with panels, as i get mine cheap when you guys say it is deteriorated and i plug it in with my bad wiring an dfind it awesomely perfect putting out that which the rating states....
.thanks to you folks for dispo-ing such good stuff....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook