SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best per $ solar panel suppliers?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Best per $ solar panel suppliers?

i picked up a marine grade solar panel in mazatlan from a cruiser at a swap meet--this panel had much problem with electrical connections. i could not make it work at all, and had to rewire entirely to learn that.
i bought 3 solar panels bp brand-at the same marine swap meet for a total of 50 usd complete with mppt controller. they rock. btw--not "marine grade"...
i have one kyocera--is a replacement from a city that changes them out yearly due to hail--was free tome...lol..is resting--huge 130 wtt panel--i have plenty of incoming electricity from the 3 bp plus one kyocera i am using.....i also have a unisolar semi rigid panel rate d 3.8 amps i would love to test here in tropics--gave me 2 amps in sd.....these are not marine grade, have been around longer than the one i bought that was spozedly marine grade--and my connections are not rotten as were the marine grade connexions..lol..
i see no reason for marine grade in something that lives outside normally. check connections regularly--is part of my semi annual checks when i anchor after a passage.
btw--i have been using uni solar flexible housing panels on my ericson for 9 years without problem, and no deterioration....i love that word in conjunction with panels, as i get mine cheap when you guys say it is deteriorated and i plug it in with my bad wiring an dfind it awesomely perfect putting out that which the rating states....
.thanks to you folks for dispo-ing such good stuff....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook