SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tornadoes and boats...
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Tornadoes and boats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I agree with Tim. At 28,000 pounds, your boat is not going to jump around too violently. I do think I read somewhere that more tornado injuries come from flying debris?
I grew up in NE Texas. I can certainly see the validity of that argument. Also, where I grew up, tornadoes are generally accompanied by very large hail - the likes of which can total a car and burst through sky lights and windshields (all of which I have seen happen). One of those hitting you on the head could be deadly. We did not have any hail here, but if you add that into the equation, is it really safer to leave your boat and hide in a ditch? Remember those pics of straw puncturing a tree?

Thoughts?

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook