SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tornadoes and boats...
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Tornadoes and boats...

I was thinking the same thing, Jim. I would think the hydrodynamic/aerodynamic nature of the hull would tend to part the air, at least as compared to a semi or a building. But, at the same time, while 28,000 lbs does seem like a lot, I wonder how much a typical long-haul trailer can hold. Yes, they have more windage, but still, there may be a lot of weight there, yet they still seem to be knocked down, and thrown about, with some regularity in a storm.

Brian, I think I'd rather be on land. I can appreciate your "not very deep" argument, but if the boat winds up on its side and is pushed through the water, how much water will you take on? Can you guarantee that you (or more importantly, your kids) won't be swamped/knocked unconscious during the initial flooding? Those are the things that worry me. Granted, the same thing can happen out on the water, but you're more prepared for it, at least in my opinion.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook