SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

188K views 1K replies 48 participants last post by  Rhapsody-NS27 
#1 · (Edited)
In the "Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort" thread,

Post # 142, Wolfenzee said to Bob Perry " BOB: take a close look at the lines of my boat and tell me could a fin keel have been designed in relatively easily http://atkinboatplans.com/Sail/images/CaptainCicero-3.gif
[/I]"

And in Post #152 and #153 Bob Perry Responded:
(#152)"Damn it Wolfer!
You made me think.
I hate it when that happens.

Sure I could do your boat with a fin keel and a nice skeg hung rudder or better yet a spade rudder.

It would look just like your boat....above the water. Under the water you would not recognize it. I would have to shave away all that deadrise and reduce displ while carving away some volume forward and reducing some hollows aft.

But in the end you and me would love it. It would be a WOLF in sheep's clothing like NIGHT RUNNER."

(#153) "Wolfy:
Next Wednesday post your hull lines again and a photo or two of your boat.
When I start thinking about a new boat I need to see it and I think it would be fun for all of us to see what your boat would look like with a more modern hull combined with that traditional Atkin look.

I have to do this to get it off my mind. I'm built like that.

Or, Jeff could do it. I know he could.
Or, Jeff and I could do it together.
He'd do the hard work and I'd do the pointing and gesturing.

Either way let's see if we can produce a boat that will get your juices flowing."

And I am bowled over by that.

As a SailNet Moderator, I can only thank Bob Perry for that generous offer to come up with a design that explores Wolf's question. That is a true gift to this forum. Normal folk rarely get to see a custom design process and so this should prove interesting.

And I am truly honored that you would be willing to do this with me. I truly appreciate Bob's willingness to give that a try.

This is a thread for that process. I am excited to see where this ends up....

Jeff

See less See more
#1,154 ·
With reference to Utowana 1902. I used to visit and stay on this boat when she came into Millbay, Plymouth, UK. She was brought down from Norway by a Spaniard who converted her back from a hospital boat with added superstructure, to her original form. My father supplied the new spars from Cornish woodlands. On completion she sailed to southern Spain, this would have been about 1979/ 1980. Would love to know where she is now, lots of stories attached !

#1,157 ·
I still get very sad when I think of David and the tough hands that life dealt him. If I remember right, David (Wolfenzee) had family. He was trying to get the boat fit out to sail down to Panama to be with his brother. It did not sound like the brother would be interested in 'Matilda'. Its very hard on an old wooden boat to sit on land that long, and it may be that the old girl never sees the water again. The City would be better served giving her away for near free, rather than trying to sell her for storage fees, and only end up paying the labor to dispose of her a few years hence.

Jeff

#1,158 ·
Always very sad when another wood boat is left to shrink, rot and die on land. It is so much work to rescue a dried out old boat and there are so few people who even know how to use a caulking iron that it's usually curtains.

Here's a Bok song that I always think of when another old wood boat goes away:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.