SailNet Community - View Single Post - main sail blown?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road
Re: main sail blown?

They are not that droopy, just not that much tensioned. I looked at some of my neighbors' boat in the marina and their halyards are in the same order of tension, sometimes tighter sometimes less. I go windsurfing once in a while. Essentially whe you use your sail your take the job of the shrouds to control the sail. the position controls the direction of the force (equivalent to weather helm, or lee helm) but not the shape of the sail, at least not noticeably. I understand the sail is of a different nature, rigid with full battens but even if were dacron (and it is on the trainer sails) the shape is not set by the position.

So maybe my weather helm is accentuated by my shrouds but i think the shape of the sail itself and the large curve on my leech is either the boom kicking up or the sail that is baggy. Tomorrow I'll work on setting up a boom vang. I think I'll add a g10 pad on each side of the mast to reduce the compression load. I cannot put a compression tube inside without taking down the mast unless I'm mistaken on the operation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook