SailNet Community - View Single Post - Carroll Marine vs Hinterhoeller Frers 36
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007

halfree is on a distinguished road
Hinterhoeller vs. Carroll Marine

Thanks for all of the feedback!

Some additional follow-up ....

I have seen some PHRF certificates for both the Hinterhoeller and Carroll Marine Frers 36.

For the Hinterhoeller, the measurements are:

I = 48.3
J = 14.5
P = 42.3
E = 13.3
Displacement = 10,900 lbs.
Ballast = 5,700 lbs

For the Carroll Marine, the measurements are:

I = 49.66
J = 14.5
P = 44.0
E = 14.0
Displacement = 10,900 lbs
Ballast = 5400 lbs

Carroll Marine Frers 36 brochures claim these measurements also.

Also, I had measurements taken of the keel and rudder on a Hinterhoeller and Carroll Marine. The measurements suggest that the keel chord, 8" below the hull is about 6-7" longer (72" vs 79") on the Hinterhoeller. These measurements were taken on fin keels, not the elliptical keel that Carroll Marine included in the 86/87 models. The rudder appears to be equal on both models.

Carroll Marine seems to have constructed "rounds" or "fillets" at the keel/hull intersection, on both sides of the keel, the leading, tail end of the keel. Hinterhoeller appears to have a more "perpendicular" or "square" intersection of the keel and hull.

With regards to the interior, I have only seen a Hinterhoeller in pictures and have seen a few Carroll Marine vessels in person. The Hinterhoeller has two rear quarter berths (not pipe berths), while the Carroll Marine has only one rear quarter berth. The galley on the Carroll Marine takes the form of a "J" and the space for the second berth is storage accessible from the deck. In the Hinterhoeller, the galley has two parts, one under the stairs (one part of the "J") and the other "under the rail" (another part of the "J"), but the third part of the "J" is an entryway to the second rear quarter berth. The head in the Hinterhoeller appears to be constructed more of fiberglass, while Carroll appears to have used more wood. The Carroll Marine model has more interior space as the cabin top is wider than the Hinterhoeller. Other than the feeling of space, one can enter, sit, and vacate the Carroll Marine nav station comfortably, while the Hinterhoeller risks bumping the head of anyone over 5' 6" tall. On deck, this translates to more deck space on the rail for the Hinterhoeller.

Having said all of this, does someone have thoughts about the difference in performance between the two given the differences in rig, ballast, etc? The Carroll Marine has a PHRF rating of 90 while the Hinterhoeller has a 99. Other than the 6 seconds, is there a "real" difference in terms of performance, stability, sailability, etc?

Thanks so much for you help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook