SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Looking closely at the Pogo 30 base specifications, I notice that the boat as shown in the teaser video on Voiles et Voiliers is sporting quite a bit of optimization. For one, it has a carbon rig, which allows for no backstay and, therefore, the use of the big flat-head main. Standard configuration is with an aluminium rig, fixed backstay and more traditional main. This will mean a big difference in performance, I suspect.

Second, and obvious from the photos of the launch, is the swing keel vs. the standard fixed keel. The swing keel is a €6530 option (for the carbon rig, you have to request a quote, but likely in the neighborhood €10-12K, perhaps more).

I will wager that by the time you kit out the boat with sails and electronics, you're looking at around €140-€160K / $185-$210K. My initial reaction is to be somewhat shocked, but this is comparable to a Beneteau First 30 fully kitted with a carbon rig, so perhaps this is where the performance end of the 30-foot range can be found these days. Of course, there are less expensive alternatives, but you will give up some performance I suppose.

Regardless, the Pogo 30 is an impressive looking boat and will go on my short-list, though not as a brand new purchase.