SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013

watsongs is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Ahoy there -

I just came across this thread; I spent a bit of time going back and reading the history. I love your spirit! Back in the late 90's, my wife and I, along with our golden retriever. Live aboard a Paceship 26, pretty much the same as a C27. We were in Baltimore, so much close in the winter and hotter than hell in the summer, with 100% humidity to boot. But we loved it. Going sailing was a bit of a chore (packing everything up so it would crash on the first gust), so picked up a sunfish for cheap and kept it across the dock in the shallow side. Come home from work, grab a beer and the dog, haul up the halyard, and I'm underway in 5 minutes, relaxing in the sunset. I highly recommend a sailing dinghy; the small boats are a great way to learn, especially as the consequences (capsizing) are a bit closer to hand. You learn respect for the elements that a keelboater can ignore...

I'm in Sausalito myself; just picked up a Farallon 29 that needs interior workings. I'm curious about your live aboard marina; when I was looking for slips, they were all warning me that no liveaboards were allowed. Fortunately my GF lives close, so it will be more of a retreat, but I'd like the option...

I've taught sailing most of my life; PM me and I'd be happy to give you a hand getting comfortable with docking. As someone here said earlier, it's all about spring lines. And, as the Brits say, keeping calm and carrying on.

Cheers,
Greg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook