SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsongs View Post
Going sailing was a bit of a chore (packing everything up so it would crash on the first gust), so picked up a sunfish for cheap and kept it across the dock in the shallow side.
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking since I've been adding more "stuff" that isn't anchored down. So, that means, throw everything in the vberth every time I want to sail away... or do like you did and get a very small sailboat. I will look into the sunfish. Cuz, rowing ain't the same as sailing. Even though it still gets me out on the water. lol

Btw, wrt saus. They do have LABs there. You just need to get in the loop, then you can find something. Walking into a harbor master's office and asking, though... Well, as they say over there, LAB is a dirty word. Calling and asking is worse. But imho, that's mainly bc of some of the more negative issues, such as folk who are into drugs and alcohol, or just plain inconsiderate dock mates, end up causing the harbor masters all sorts of grief.

As for LABs on the estuary? Since your GF lives in saus, I would say, fuggedaboutit. Between the bridges in traffic, saus may as well be on the other side of the world. Now, otoh, sailing over... Yeah, that's not only doable, but way more pleasant. However, you'd still be faced with where to dock... unless you moored in Richardson Bay and took a dink to shore. Anyway, just my opinion. ymmv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsongs View Post
As someone here said earlier, it's all about spring lines. And, as the Brits say, keeping calm and carrying on.
Yup. Spring lines are wonderful things. Almost as good as duct tape. A friend and I were docking (his boat) at Jack London square and the spring line worked wonders! I think the main issue I have, at least, for now, is not having an extra person aboard in the event I get in a bind. It's the confidence (or lack thereof) factor. But yeah, totally agree about using spring lines.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook