SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
My French isn't the best, but I thought I heard the gentleman from Structures say that Verdier is designing the Pogo 3 not the Pogo 40 S3, during the interview video you posted. He discussed the 40 S3 but I didn't hear him mention the designer for that one. And that would be consistent with what we've read and heard elsewhere.

After VPLP's success in the last Vendée I wouldn't be surprised if Verdier is the hot new designer du jour. Hard to argue with success. However, it will be interesting to me to see if Verdier incorporates any of the lessons learned from David Raison's scow 6.50 into his own design. Some of my friends who are more knowledgeable about the Mini Transat tell me that Raison's design would not be quite as competitive on the new route for 2013 as on the previous route of the last several years, to Bahia de Salvador. But 747 did very well on the Mini Fastnet, so who knows. It seems to me that in any condition featuring power reaching in breeze under spinnaker, the scow would be the weapon of choice. Watching the recent training video of the more conventional designs, in precisely those conditions, I noted the tendency to bury the bow quite a bit. This would not be as much of an issue with the scow design.

I guess we will wait and see. One thing we know is that Structures is not afraid to push the envelope, even in a market where they dominate (Pogo 2). Unless, of course, the Pogo 3 is slower than the Pogo 2. But I bet that won't happen.
Your French should not be that bad because you are right. he is talking about the Mini racer that is going to be designed by Verdier. After that he says that they are making a S3 version of the class 40 for the Transquadra....but they fail to mention the designer

Anyway the Pogo 2, the mini class racer was also a Finot/Conq design...and that has changed for Verdier. Will the same happens with the new Class 40? Anyway it is strange their persistence in not naming the designer.

Bon, and with 3 months delay some "news" about the Pogo 30. Almost 4 months ago, only over the drawings they had sold already 30 Pogo 30, 5 for racing the next Transquadra and 25 for fast cruising.

The ones for the Transquadra will have a fixed aluminum mast while all the others will have the removable carbon mast. I can only imagine a reason for the one used mostly for racing to have a aluminium mast: The IRC number with a Carbon mast will be over 1.051, the Max allowed.

So, we will only have to wait a year to know if the little one will be faster on a Transat than a JPK 10.10 or a A35. Off course, on the next one we will have also the new Jeanneau 3600 and the JPK 1080....it is going to be a very hot one.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook