SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Grand Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
At the risk of appearing overly critical and not appreciating it when people take the time to video their sailing adventures, I have to say that the camera reveals much room for improvement aboard Gernimo. In no particular order:
  1. Crew doesn't hike hard upwind.
  2. Crew slow moving across the boat and assuming hiking position during and after tacks
  3. Pit person in poor position on spinnaker hoist to support mast person - she is tailing right up against the rope clutch instead of back near the cabin top winch.
  4. Too many people on the foredeck during the spinnaker set and gybe, including one guy just sitting in front of the mast
  5. What? No spinnaker downwind in 23 knots? That seems overly cautious during a race.
  6. Crew out of position prior to the start - someone is down below while they're in sequence and weight positioning is all over the place as they tack onto starboard to make their approach.

I could probably go on but I would recommend some coaching to take it to the next level.

Couldn't really tell much about the Grand Surprise itself, except that it looks quick in a breeze (and would be even quicker if the crew hikes hard and gets their weight properly positioned and sets the spinnaker).
Poor guys They are just learning

I found out that there are Grand Surprise even in Australia:

MYC CC 20110130 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

and raced by girls too

Esprit in MYC Marathon 2 2013 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

One going fast:

and one that seems better sailed to me even if this is only a University race with kids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-11-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook