SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
My concerns about Morvan running into light conditions in the Figaro turned out to be prophetic, and he became a plaything of the gods as the wind vanished and the entire fleet compressed. In desperation (I imagine) he made a stab out to the northwest, looking for breeze, but then immediately joined the rest of the fleet in dashing back inshore, while the Jackal (Armel Le Cléac'h) took advantage and snuck into the lead. Now it is a battle to the very end as the breeze is up and the dash to the finish is underway.

Yacht racing: not for the faint of heart.

By contrast, I was able to get out on an Express 37 yesterday afternoon for some casual PHRF racing out of Cedar Point YC, on Long Island Sound. Conditions were perfect, with about 8-14 knots - initially from the south, but clocking east midway through race one - and about 70F (21C). It was a mixed bag in the spinnaker class, with another Express 37, a J/105, an Evelyn 32, a Wyliecat and a couple others. Due to our very impressive upwind and downwind speed - particularly on the second windward leg of each race - we were able to score two wins for the day. Interestingly, we averaged .30 knot VMG higher in both races than the second place boat, a J/105. As a nice change of pace for me I got to do the mast position instead of my customary bow spot. Good bowman aboard so, of course, there was zero drama on the front of the boat.
Congratulations on the race

Regarding the Figaro Morvan leaded till about being at 27nm from the finish in a 300nm race...then he took the wrong option and come from 1st to 27th. That's how good these guys are. No mistakes allowed not even near the finish line.

One for Armel but Yann, the winner of the first leg made a great race too coming in 5th losing only 9 minutes to Armel and is leading overall. Armel is 6th, Desjoieaux is 16th and Morvan is 20th and by the way this guy (Xavier):

is 4th. When this video passed on sailnet there was a lot of guys making fun. I have tried to explain that guy was a pro and a great sailor...well, he is proving here that, 4th among the best It seems those trains with Berenger were useful.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook