SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: A boat for Mr Pelicano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Paulo -

I was supposed to do the recent Block Island Race on an A40 - not the RC version - but it didn't come together for some reason. I took a look at it yesterday, as it is docked nearby the Express 37. Cool looking boat, in either configuration, though I confess to preferring twin wheels and mainsheet / traveller ahead of the steering position - Geranium Killer is tiller steering and mainsheet / traveller aft. There are quite a few A40's and A40 RC's for sale all over the place, and the prices seem quite reasonable for a 40-footer, which makes me wonder why an A40 would be less expensive than a 1999 Farr 40 OD (hint: I suspect the difference is "lots of carbon" on the Farr ).

Also have to say I'm not a big fan of galley forward in a performance cruiser - I don't mind it in a full-on race boat, since all you ever do is boil water, but for cruising prefer to have the galley in the conventional place, with the heads in one of the aft quarters. Besides, you've already got me excited about the new A35, which appears to tick all my boxes.

BTW, watching the videos of Porto and doing a bit of reading about the city, I'm now rather captivated by it. Seems like a very pleasant place to visit - on the seaside but close enough to Douro to satisfy one's wine tasting needs. What are your thoughts about it? Recommend? Or do you prefer the south coast more?

Best,

MrP
Regarding the A40 and the A40rc there is a great difference in price and performance in what regards racing. The A40, the previous boat can be bought sometimes as low as 80/100 000 euros while the TC rarely come below 150 000.

The 40RC has also a better cruising interior and the galley is a "normal" one.

Regarding Portugal, yes Porto is a great city but in what regards seaside cities also Lisboa or Viana do Castelo.

I have recently send some information about it to Steve (Hannah) and I will do the same to you with a PM.

Regarding Lisboa there is a thread with information about it:

Lisbon in May

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook