SailNet Community - View Single Post - AMF Puffer Restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road
Re: AMF Puffer Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Is the keel really cracked deep enough you need to cut it out? Maybe just grind it down a bit, glass and epoxy over, fair, and paint. Agree with the sailing part. Only do work on the boat when it won't take much time away from sailing it.
Bar, the keel crack is not that deep, I plan to grind it like you suggested rather than cut a hole in the hull. I'll probably grind into the fiberglass less than a cm or so and make a fiberglass matt to pack into the resulting indention and finish up with a strip[ of fiberglass over the top. I'll finish up by dabbing out the air bubbles with resin. hopefully I can manage the fiberglass to a point that it does not build up much higher than the original Keel design.

I did a little sanding and used some fiberglass resin to seal the original stress cracks and attempt to seal this crack before it got worse but it wasnt enough. Now surgery is required and re enforcement is a necessity.

I also removed the motor mount block on the back of the boat and sealed the holes with resin. With the oars I do not plan to attach a motor of any kind.

Here are a few photos of the original condition of the other components on the boat.

As I mentioned earlier most of the hardware is useless, broken, or missing

I'll have some more progress photos later weather permitting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook