SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to get first boat
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 06-10-2013
Re: Looking to get first boat

A 25 can be a good first boat or . . . a good boat. There are some real tangible benefits to a "trailer sailor". Money, being a prime reason. By trailering you are saving serious cash on slip fees, mooring, marinas, repairs, hauling, stepping and all sorts of other sailory sounding stuff. The drawback is towing but if you have a pick up, and you ARE in Texas so, like Maine, you can get 6 pick-ups in 12 minutes by sending out the word that something has to move . . . and it's wick'd heavy. Say there's mud or a snow bank in the way and beer on the other side and your job is done. Now, where was I going with that? Oh, towing. Yeah, as long as you can tow your mistress to where she needs to go, it's a good deal. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you how long it takes to set up. My lovely bride and I can do it in 1/2 hour from brakes on to float off. It takes a few tries to get the knack but once you get the process down and make a few gadgets to help, it's not too bad. We tow and launch our Lancer 25 every weekend, after ice-out anyway. Pick up a copy of "The Complete Trailer Sailor" by Brian Gilbert. Good stuff but also lots of boats in the back to help you choose. For me though, Catalina all the way. 1987 ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010045.jpg (98.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Seguin Light Harbor.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome