SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who pays for the food and beer?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Brent View Post
Not to step on any toes. But! If I'm going to crew in a race I feel that the Capt. should be kicking in the beer and sandwiches. I wouldn't have someone helping me paint my house supply their own beer and lunch. Just sayin.
Well you're completely wrong.

Painting a house is a "chore" or a "job" that few people would feel is a pleasant or entertaining pastime, and I agree that food and beverage should be provided.

Crewing a sailboat, whether for racing or pleasure, is a recreational pastime, even if physical exertion is involved. The skipper is providing you with a day on the water, on his boat, at his expense. You should provide your own personal equipment, and be prepared to contribute a snack and beverage at his discretion, or at least a snack and beverage for your own personal consumption. Some skippers will provide food and beverage, but by no means should it be expected.

"Crew protocol" is an unwritten set of rules and varies somewhat from boat to boat, but it never ceases to stun me that some people think that not only should I provide the boat, the certifications, the entry fees, field the maintenance costs and the fuel, but that I should also provide:

Gloves
Auto-inflating PFD's
Foulies
Entire meals complete with snacks
Water
Alcoholic beverages
Ice

So exactly what are you, the crew providing? Ah yes...labor.
Crew is what makes the boat go, right? Can't win a race without crew!

Oh...you mean the crew that I have to constantly plead with to hike, to trim, to pay attention to their jobs?

"Guys, I need more weight on the rail, could you all move to the high side please?"
"Traveler down please, we're heeled way too much, and slowing down."
"I'm sorry, could you please set your beer aside and snug the vang down?"
"Hey, sorry to interrupt your story, but the jib is flogging and the inner tells are luffing straight up. Could you trim it in please?"

These same people complain that their standing in their class never improves as the series progresses. They can't be bothered to come practice twice a month, or pay attention to their jobs during a race, or even make dock call on time.

It must be my fault.
"This skipper is clueless."
"He should buy new sails."
"He should haul the boat and fair the bottom again."
"Man, this boat is dirty, look at all the empty cans."

Brent, people like you are why I singlehand. Get a clue, mate.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook