SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Fishing
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat Fishing

Fishing? Yup. There is "Fishing" and there is "catching fish". My fly rods and waders are for "Fishing". Hove to with a hand line is for "catching fish".

We do not clutter the boat with rods. If we had kids to share it with that might be different. A home made hand line, work gloves with leather palms, a piece of black PVC pipe split and snapped over the stern rail, a cod jig for weight with its hooks removed and a gaff.

The hand line is 200' of heavy mono (200#) wrapped around a gently tapered piece of marine plywood that has pieces of 1x1 fastened across the wide (10") end as a handle. The cod jig is a heavy shiny weight at the bottom on a swivel. 6, 6/0 snelled hooks on 50# leader at 2' intervals above it. The hooks are on a section of the heavy mono also on a swivel. The hooks get hooked into the handle when not in use and it stores in a small tub. This rig is lowered over the stern rail so you can pull down when retrieving. A sacrificial piece of PVC is snapped on the rail to protect the line. The gaff has a piece of line attached to keep from loosing it overboard.

This rig is not for fishing while sailing around here but I am sure it would catch fish in the right spots. We sail to a "bank", hove to, lower the hooks and drift over the structure. This is usually in water 50' or less. Ground fish are what we catch. There is always the possibility of a large halibut. I have a halibut rig with heavier hooks when that is a real possibility. Haven't had to deal with a monster yet. My old spear gun is available just in case.

The fish go into a cooler of ice and get cleaned at the dock. Fresh fish are my favorite protein. Nothing else compares. Today's killed halibut is to die for! Ha!

Bait can be anything. We catch a couple of mackerel or harbor pollock before we go fishing for food. Any fish can be cut into chunks for bait and the fish don't seem to mind if it has been frozen. Last weeks catch works.

Enjoy! Yummy!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 06-11-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook