Originally Posted by hillenme
I'm disappointed not only in the surveyor, but the yard as well. I noticed a weep after we put our bottom paint on - it was not very large, but I brought it to the yard's attention twice and they still launched and said it could be dealt with next season. I should have gone with my instinct and delayed, but we were so anxious to get her in the water. Twice since launching we sailed in 35 knot winds and lovely lake Michigan chop (50 degrees heel at one point) and I'm surprised that when really loading up the keel like that I did not notice an increase in the ingress of water while under sail.
Regardless, yard is going to try and help me out now and get this done next week. So hopefully we are not out of the water to long. I'm still not convinced this is the whole story. The location of the leak under that stringer still doesn't make sense to me unless there is an actual crack in the hull that we won't see until the keel is dropped.
You're wise to keep an eye out for more problems but also don't underestimate the ability of water to migrate to/through weird places. I appear to have fixed a leak that exited my stanchion base hardware by rebedding the chainplates 2' away. You'd think the water would have exited the cleat hardware that was in between the two, but apparently not.