SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for next boat
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

mdidomenico is on a distinguished road
Looking for next boat

I've taken up sailing over the last couple years, my short term goal was to get a little dingy i could use on the local lake to get my feet wet. i have a mutineer which is doing great. over the next 2yrs i'd like to get into a boat which i'd feel comfortable out in barnegat bay, and few a years after that something much larger i can get out past the inlet into the ocean.

I've been trolling around craigslist and other places looking at what i might get next. I saw this pop up on craigslist a few days ago

cnj.craigslist.org/boa/3851207211.html

So given my goals and the collective wisdom of sailnet i have two questions.

1. is a hunter 23 a good next boat for me given my skill level (beginner). i'll mostly be sailing with my gf and kids. i'm mostly looking for something i can take out into the bay and relax on for the day (but not get rundown or swamped by the other boats). is there something more family cruising friendly about the same size or a little larger.

2. is the mentioned boat a good project boat? i'm not a skilled trademen, but wasnt afraid to dissemble my mutineer and fix it up. i also, oddly enough, enjoy working on boats. it'll be a year or more before i actually feel comfortable out in the bay (after my asa classes).

i'd prefer to fix up a boat (so i know exactly how shipshape it is) rather then get a fixed up one (plus it's cheaper and i can spread the cost over the next 2yrs rather then 4k all at once). given that hurricane sandy ripped through this area, the question lies in what's likely to be wrong with the hull.

given the low price it doesn't seem worth it to get a survey, the cost would probably be more then the boat. not to mention it's literally just a hull. I haven't seen it or called the guy yet.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook