SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard on 1974 Pearson 10m?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Outboard on 1974 Pearson 10m?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRicardoJR View Post
Bid from a boat shipping company on UShip dot com. Guess with this bad economy, I'm not the only hard-working, yet poor person out there who needs cash

Just be careful with them, have you watched shipping wars with guys who don't understand what they are getting into when trying to ship something? That show is based on UShip. Would hate to see your boat slip off the back of a truck!

I really don't want to sound discouraging but given your current finical/family situation perhaps you are over your head? I am also going through a divorce after 20 years and looking for a boat to live on. The X is actually encouraging me to do so. I am considering a good solid Pearson 10M but it is at the bottom of the list and kind of my back up boat plan. Insurance should not be that big of a deal, you will just need liability so you should be able to find some without a survey, Progressive offers it. You will only need survey if you are looking for full coverage.

Ideal would be to find a local Sandy/Irene damaged boat diesel to put in. But it will take some time to get it in so you will have to factor in housing while doing it if you want to do it up here. another option is to have the truck take the motor with it down to FL. I think you will be surprised at how expensive the storage is up in CT. I am in New York a couple of hours away and I know the storage rates are much higher in CT than locally.

There have been a few threads here about boats that were being bought after Sandy, I don't remember seeing any that ended well. Sailboats are a great dream, I have been working on my dream now since I was a teenager, and am finally ready to jump at 48. But boats are no fun when you can't fix things as they go wrong, and yes they will go wrong. There is a reason people call them Boat Bucks ($1000) as that seems to be the amount most problems cost to fix.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
DonRicardoJR (06-11-2013)