SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to get first boat
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to get first boat

I agree with Ward. I bought a Tohatsu electric-start for my C25. It was great, and my wife could easily start the engine (unlike the Honda 8 that we had before which was manual start). If it's a high priority, budget $2500 toward a new Tohatsu (including a starter battery) and go find another boat with an outboard. Then sell the outboard that comes with the boat, or keep it as a spare in case something happens to the Tohatsu.

I wouldn't look for a local to help you buy a cheap boat; you'll likely blow your budget. It really isn't that hard. Read the threads here (there's a sticky somewhere) for self-inspecting a boat. If you go with the Catalina, the C25 owner's site has a great self-inspection checklist that includes topics specific to the C25. Also, be ready to look at several boats, and be ready to spend at least an hour or two aboard. A little homework and some time aboard will really go a long way toward giving you peace of mind in making your selection.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook