SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

The estimate so far is just for rebedding the keel. As I mentioned earlier I'm sure this isn't the end of the story - but we can't see anything else until the keel is dropped. There was no obvious hull damage anywhere else that would explain the leak.

I work 50+ hours a week and with a long drive to the yard doing all or even part of this on my own is not an option. The season is short and I want to be back in the water as soon as possible. We're planning some lake crossings and participating in some overnight races, so I don't want to be wondering if my first attempt at such a large project went well when we are 40 miles offshore in nasty weather.

I'm still perplexed as to how this was apparently unnoticeable to the PO or the yard when he last hauled it 2 years ago. He was ready to launch and race the Mac in it before purchasing his new boat in the spring on more or less a whim - so I don't think he was hiding anything.

Ugh...

Luckily I know a lot of other boat owners I can jump on with anytime, so getting out for a sail won't be difficult.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook