SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Seems like a lot to me. Ask Sailnet member CharlieCobra - he should know the answer.

Why can't you have it blocked, loosen the bolts yourself, have them raise the boat a little with the keel supported, re-block, work the seam between keel and bolt to ensure it separates, raise the boat again to separate from the keel and reblock, work on the joint to create a good matching seal between keel and boat, add 5200, re-bed, tighten all bolts, set and relaunch?

Or, here is a novel idea: have boat blocked an extra foot high, with some kind of removable blocking or jacked blocking under the keel, loosen the bolts and work the seal between keel and hull, drop the keel in place with side supports, work the keel-hull joint, then have the boat dropped down to the dropped keel level, or if you are able, jack the keel back up into the boat.
I wouldn't cobble the repair like this. It goes to your hull integrity. Its not like a patch topsides. Do you want to worry forever that this didn't really fix the problem?

As Hellosailor and others have mentioned the leaking of 3 gallons of water in a short time is no small leak. The is an issue between the keel and the bottom of the boat.

The only way to fix it CORRECTLY is not to cement it closed with 5200 and drop the keel back in place and tighten the bolts. You need to get the keel clear of the bottom and take a good look at what is actually leaking here. Fix that. Only then will you have a solid structure to hold the keel onto the hull with any degree of certainty.

$3500 in parts and labor for the simplest of fixes seems reasonable as Jimgo said. I am sure they will use up 16 hours of labor at least. be prepared though that they may find something major to repair once the keel is off.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
hillenme (06-11-2013)