SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

Have had the floor boards floating on one occasion. Didn't call Mayday fixed the issue but caused me to think about it. Now instruct crew in proper way to call for help. All VHF radios on board are DSC enabled. Crew knows to deploy EPIRB at time Mayday called as well. At least one crew besides myself knows how to use SSB to call for help. Coastal in home waters have phone # of CG and harbormaster at nav station. Belt and suspenders.
Had occasion to be asked to be a standby vessel when commercial fish boat got in trouble when only ssb ( neither of us had it) and VHF were available. CG are incredible. Don't worry about them getting there in US coastal waters. Given it's federally illegal to not lend assistance even if boat in trouble is filled with the great unwashed don't think above concerns are usually operative with the weekend warriors in close coastal settings. Don't think sailnet crowd would not know how to act correctly. Do think we should all know proper radio protocols. They are even taught in the first basic power squadron course. My 2 cents.