Today I grinded down the damaged area to a thin layer of fiberglass.
After doing so I didnt feel it was going to be as strong as I wanted it to be so I grinded out a couple more inches of the keel but only half as deep to keep some of the existing structure.
After grinding out the fiberglass it is extreamly important to sand smooth the surface around the area of any gel coat or jagged edges that will make difficult air pockets to work out of the fiberglass as you apply it. It is also exteamly important to clean the surface of any debree before painting on the resin.
I cut the fiberglass matt into small easy to apply segments to simplify things a little.
I used acetone to clean the surface before I applied resin
After the surface was clean I painted on resin, applied a fiberglass resin mix into the larger holes, applied each pre cut square working out the air bubbles in each and finally applied the larger square. I ended up cutting two small squares to build up the sides so i can sand the fiberlass down to the original keel shape after it cures.
Its been a while since I worked with this stuff and I accidently added to much catalist to the resin, soo half way through it kicked on me and turned my brush into a stick. Luckily i had already worked out most of the air bubbles but the finished product was not as clean as it would have been if I had a good brush. Just have to work out the details later and if need be build it up with more fiberglass worse case scenario.
I also managed to get around to taking apart the tiller to see what hardware needs to be replaced.
any comments jokes criticism feel free