SailNet Community - View Single Post - CL-14 looks sweet, any thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

dybydd is on a distinguished road
Re: CL-14 looks sweet, any thoughts?

I've owned a CL 11 and now a Cl 14 for sailing on the eastern shore of Georgian Bay. The CL 11 was a superb dinghy...great hull shape for tacking in close spaces...it has a 4 foot keelson stretching from aft the centerboard box to the transom.

The little dinghy always seems to be sensitive to the helm...not overly but in light winds you feel that you still have control. Tacking is just superb even in 3-4 foot swells and you stay dry. The bailers look after any water shipped. Coming about is sure footed yet the weather helm is not so obvious that you don't have to be bringing the bow back down all the time.

I imagine the 14 will be more of the same...quite forgiving of any tiller errors.Running downwind is a breeze...I tacked into a SW 15 wind for three hours and then came back with that wind in under 30 mins!

The hull design is the key to it's success...if you find one grab it. There aren't many builders out there who care how a boat sails...as long as they sell it. But C&L Boatworks has a history of good design and it sure shows in the performance of their dinghies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook