SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good First Boat
Thread: Good First Boat
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013

dinosdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Good First Boat

one point to consider would be, will you just be "sailing' the boat on weekends or will it also be used as a weekend getaway. I ask that because when I bought my c&c 30 a year and a half ago it was my first boat period..never even owned a rowboat before, but knew that my wife and I wanted to sail but also have a cottage on the water to relax on weekends. many an hour has been spent on the mooring having a drink, reading a good book, grilling some food. or simply watching the boat traffic on the river. trying to do this on a small boat with limited headroom, probably a porta potty, and otherwise cramped conditions just wouldnt have resulted in as much enjoyment! while we could have started small and moved up in stages, other than the lack of amenities of a smaller boat I also thought of the time and expense involved in each step up in boat size. although many on this site have managed to sell a boat rapidly and for good money, many have had to put future plans on hold while the first /second boat waits for an offer. and while that is happening the yard/mooring/slip/repair bills keep adding up{monies one could have applied to a larger boat}. if you have not already take a basic keelboat course, perhaps keelkick a boat or two{read the post on this site about what to look for when shopping for a boat,}hire a reputable surveyor who will let you crawl through the boat with him{ask questions , lots of them}and get out there and enjoy!