SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I would say the majority of vessels along the Maine coast are documented and not displaying state numbers...
I have many hundreds of pics of boats in Maine with no bow numbers....
And felt compelled to show most of them. To prove what...that documented boats don't need numbers on the hull? That's a given as far as I'm concerned, but doesn't matter. As I said in post #5:
"Having come to the aid of several vessels, I can assure you that by the time you can see a boat's name or number, you usually know it's the boat in question. I would also assume it's useless to a CG helicopter. That's probably why the CG usually asks the skipper to wave something bright to identify the vessel when they, or another boat is in the area. I've done the same. You want to make sure you are heading for the right boat, long before you can read her name. Especially when your top speed is about 6.5 knots (as in my case!)"
This weekend, the CG was asking Vessel Assist if a Bayliner they were helping was blue and white. Vessel Assist responded "Have you ever seen a Bayliner that wasn't?"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook